Size and Shape Design Optimization of Truss Structures Using the Jaya Algorithm
The metaheuristic algorithm is proposed to solve the weight minimization problem of truss structures, considering the shape and sizing design variables. Design variables are discrete and/or continuous. The design of truss structures is optimized by an efficient optimization algorithm called Jaya. The main feature of Jaya is that it does not require setting algorithm-specific parameters. The algorithm has a very simple formulation in which the basic idea is to approach the best solution and escape from the worst solution . Analyses of structures are performed by a finite element code in MATLAB. The effectiveness of the Jaya algorithm is demonstrated using two benchmark examples: planar truss 18-bar and spatial truss 39-bar, and compared with results in references.
Keywordsplanar and spatial truss, size and shape optimization, discrete and continuous variables, Jaya algorithm,
References1. W. Cheng, F. Liu, L.J. Li, Size and geometry optimization of trusses using teachinglearning-based optimization, International Journal of Optimization in Civil Engineering, 3(3): 431–444, 2013.
2. T. Dede, Y. Ayvaz, Combined size and shape optimization of structures with a new meta-heuristic algorithm, Applied Soft Computing, 28: 250–258, 2015, doi: 10.1016/j.asoc.2014.12.007.
3. T. Dede, Jaya algorithm to solve single objective size optimization problem for steel grillage structures, Steel and Composite Structures, 26(2): 163–170, 2018, doi: 10.12989/scs.2018.26.2.163.
4. S.O. Degertekin, L. Lamberti, I.B. Ugur, Sizing, layout and topology design optimization of truss structures using the Jaya algorithm, Applied Soft Computing, 70: 903–928, 2018, doi: 10.1016/j.asoc.2017.10.001.
5. M. Grzywinski, T. Dede, Y.I. Özdemir, Optimization of the braced dome structures by using Jaya algorithm with frequency constraints, Steel and Composite Structures, 30(1): 47–55, 2019, doi: 10.12989/scs.2019.30.1.047.
6. M. Grzywinski, J. Selejdak, T. Dede, Shape and size optimization of trusses with dynamic constraints using a metaheuristic algorithm, Steel and Composite Structures, 33(5): 747–753, 2019, doi: 10.12989/scs.2019.33.5.747.
7. A. Kaveh, V. Kalatjari, Size/geometry optimization of trusses by the force method and genetic algorithm. Journal of Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 84(5): 347–357, 2004, doi: 10.1002/zamm.200310106.
8. R.V. Rao, Jaya: A simple and new optimization algorithm for solving constrained and unconstrained optimization problems, International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations, 7(1): 19–34, 2016, doi: 10.5267/j.ijiec.2015.8.004.
9. D. Wang, W.H. Zhang, J.S. Jiang, Combined shape and sizing optimization of truss structures, Computational Mechanics, 29(4–5): 307–312, 2002, doi: 10.1007/s00466-002-0343-x.