Parametric Study on the Connection Between Poisson’s Ratio, GSI and Environmental Stress
According to its definition, Poisson’s ratio is a measure of the Poisson effect, the phenomenon in which a material tends to expand in directions perpendicular to the direction of compression or, in other words, Poisson’s ratio is the ratio of relative contraction to relative expansion. For the sake of simplicity, it is handled as a constant. However, in reality, it is a variable. One can find several studies on this topic. This paper aims to study the impact of the environmental (confining) pressure and rock quality (namely the geological strength index, GSI) of rock mass on Poisson’s ratio. By using parametric investigation, several cases were calculated to present the functional dependency between the quantities mentioned above.
KeywordsPoisson’s ratio, geological strength index (GSI), stress depend, variable environmental stress,
References1. S.D. Poisson, Mémoire sur l’équilibre et le mouvement des corps élastiques, Mém. de l’Acad. Paris, p. 8, 1829.
2. A. Nadai, Theory of Flow and Fracture of Solids, McGraw-Hill Book Company, New York, Toronto, London, 1963.
3. B.A. Lógó, B. Vásárhelyi, Estimation of the Poisson’s rate of the intact rock in the function of the rigidity, Periodica Polytechnica Civil Engineering, 63(4): 1030–1037, 2019, doi: 10.3311/PPci.14946.
4. B. Vásárhelyi, A possible method for estimating the Poisson’s rate values of the rock masses, Acta Geodaetica et Geophisica Hungarica, 44(3): 313–322, 2009, doi: 10.1556/AGeod.44.2009.3.4.
5. H. Gercek, Poisson’s ratio values for rocks, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 44(1): 1–13, 2007, doi: 10.1016/j.ijrmms.2006.04.011.
6. Z.T. Bieniawski, Mechanism of brittle fracture of rock. Part I: Theory of fracture process. Part II: Experimental studies. Part III: Fracture in tension and under long term loading, International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, 4(4): 395–404, 1967.
7. J. Kumar, The effect of Poisson’s ratio on rock properties, SPE-6094-MS. SPE Annual Fall Technical Conference and Exhibition, 3–6 October, New Orleans, pp. 1–12, 1976, doi: 10.2118/6094-MS.
8. E. Hoek, E.T. Brown, The Hoek–Brown failure criterion and GSI – 2018 edition, Journal of Rock Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, 11(3): 445–463, 2019, doi: 10.1016/j.jrmge.2018.08.001.
9. E. Hoek, Practical Rock Engineering, http://www.rocscience.com 2007.
10. B. Vásárhelyi, M. Davarpanah, Influence of water content on the mechanical parameters of the intact rock and rock mass, Periodica Polytechnica Civil Engineering, 62(4): 1050– 1066, 2018, doi: 10.3311/PPci.12173.
11. Á. Török, B. Vásárhelyi, Rigidity of sandstone at elevated temperatures, [in:] R. Ulusay, O. Aydan, H. Gerçek, M.A. Hindistan, E. Tuncay [Eds], Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering: From the Past to the Future: Proceedings of the 2016 ISRM International Symposium, EUROCK 2016, Cappadocia, Turkey, 29–31 August 2016, CRC Press/Belkema, Leiden, Netherlands, pp. 345–348, 2016.
12. M. Cai, Practical estimates of tensile strength and Hoek–Brown strength parameter mi of brittle rocks, Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 43: 167–184, 2010, doi: 10.1007/s00603-009-0053-1.
13. B. Vásárhelyi, G. Somodi, Á. Krupa, L. Kovács, Determining the geological strength index (GSI) using different methods, [in:] R. Ulusay, O. Aydan, H. Gerçek, M.A. Hindistan, E. Tuncay [Eds], Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering: From the Past to the Future: Proceedings of the 2016 ISRM International Symposium, EUROCK 2016, Cappadocia, Turkey, 29–31 August 2016, CRC Press/Belkema, Leiden, Netherlands, pp. 1049–1054, 2016, doi: 10.1201/9781315388502-183.
14. N. Zhang, Z. Sheng, X. Li, S. Li, J. He, Study of relationship between Poisson’s ratio and angle of internal friction for rocks [in Chinese], Chinese Journal of Rock Mechanics and Engineering, 30(Supl. 1): 2599–2609, 2011.
15. J. Jaky, The coefficient of earth pressure at rest [in Hungarian: A nyugalmi nyomas tényezője], Magyar Mérnök és Épitész-Egylet Közlönye, 355–358, 1944.
16. K. Terzaghi, F.E. Richart, Jr, Stresses in rock about cavities, Geotechnique, 3(2): 57–90, Harvard Soil Mechanics Series, 41, 1952.
17. K.G. Stagg, O.C. Zienkiewicz, Rock Mechanics in Engineering Practice, Wiley, 1968.
18. E. Hoek, C. Carranza-Torres, C. Brent, Hoek–Brown failure criterion-2002 Edition, Proceedings of the NARMS-TAC Conference, Toronto, Vol. 1, pp. 267–273, 2002.
Sep 25, 2020
How to Cite
LÓGÓ, Benedek András; VÁSÁRHELYI, Balázs. Parametric Study on the Connection Between Poisson’s Ratio, GSI and Environmental Stress. Computer Assisted Methods in Engineering and Science, [S.l.], v. 27, n. 2–3, p. 205–217, sep. 2020. ISSN 2956-5839. Available at: <https://cames.ippt.pan.pl/index.php/cames/article/view/287>. Date accessed: 06 june 2023. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.24423/cames.287.
[CLOSED] Engineering Optimization