Realization of Multiplexer Logic-Based 2-D Block FIR Filter Using Distributed Arithmetic
This paper presents a novel systolic two-dimensional (2D) block finite impulse response (FIR) filter architecture using a distributed arithmetic (DA)-based multiplexer look-up table (DA-MUX-LUT). The proposed DA-MUX-LUT architecture computes the instantaneous partial-product using the bit vector. The switching-based LUT replaces memorybased structures and reduces hardware complexity. Block processing allows memory reuse, which reduces the number of registers to store the previous input samples. Parallel adders are substituted by a modified carry look-ahead adder (MCLA), which minimizes the delay. Moreover, a resource-sharing concept is introduced to the DA-MUX-LUT block that drastically reduces the adder requirement. The application specific integrated circuit (ASIC) synthesis results show that the proposed DA-MUX-LUT-based 2-D block FIR filter for filter size 8x8 and block size 4 has 31.22% less delay, 28.66% less area-delay product (ADP), 37.70% less power-delay product (PDP), and occupies almost the same area than the existing architecture.
Keywords2-D FIR filter, switching-based LUT, distributed arithmetic, block processing,
References1. D.J. Allred, H. Yoo, V Krishnan, W. Huang, D.W. Anderson, LMS adaptive filters using distributed arithmetic for high throughput, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 52(7): 1327–1337, doi: 10.1109/TCSI.2005.851731.
2. K.K. Parhi, VLSI digital signal processing systems: design and implementation, John Wiley & Sons, 2007.
3. R. Guo, L.S. DeBrunner, Two high-performance adaptive filter implementation schemes using distributed arithmetic, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II: Express Briefs, 58(9): 600–604, 2011, doi: 10.1109/TCSII.2011.2161168.
4. M.A. Sid-Ahmed, A systolic realization for 2-D digital filters, IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 37(4): 560–565, 1989, doi: 10.1109/29.17537.
5. I.-H. Khoo, H.C. Reddy, L.-D. Van, C.-T. Lin, Generalized formulation of 2-D filter structures without global broadcast for VLSI implementation, [in:] 2010 53rd IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. 426–429, IEEE, 2010, doi: 10.1109/MWSCAS.2010.5548755.
6. C.P. Chowdari, J.B. Seventline, An efficient FIR filter architecture implementation using distributed arithmetic (DA) for DSP applications, International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE), 8(9S3): 330–337, 2019, doi: 10.35940/ijitee.I3061.0789S319.
7. P.-Y. Chen, L.-D. Van, H.C. Reddy, I.-H. Khoo Area-efficient 2-D digital filter architectures possessing diagonal and four-fold rotational symmetries, [in:] 2013 9th International Conference on Information, Communications & Signal Processing, pp. 1–5, IEEE, 2013, doi: 10.1109/ICICS.2013.6782888.
8. M. Alawad, M. Lin, Memory-efficient probabilistic 2-D finite impulse response (FIR) filter, IEEE Transactions on Multi-Scale Computing Systems, 4(1): 69–82, 2017, doi: 10.1109/TMSCS.2017.2695588.
9. B.K. Mohanty, P.K. Meher, S. Al-Maadeed, A. Amira, Memory footprint reduction for power-efficient realization of 2-D finite impulse response filters, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, 61(1): 120–133, 2014, doi: 10.1109/TCSI.2013.2265953.
10. P. Kumar, P.C. Shrivastava, M. Tiwari, G.R. Mishra, High-throughput, area-efficient architecture of 2-D block FIR filter using DA algorithm, Circuits, Systems, and Signal Processing, 38(3): 1099–1113, 2019, doi: 10.1007/s00034-018-0897-2.
11. C.P. Chowdari, J.B. Seventline, Systolic architecture for adaptive block FIR filter for throughput using distributed arithmetic, International Journal of Speech Technology, 23(3): 549–557, 2020, doi: 10.1007/s10772-020-09745-4.
12. C.P. Chowdari, J.B. Seventline, VLSI implementation of distributed arithmetic based block adaptive finite impulse response filter, Materials Today: Proceedings, 33(part 7): 3757–3762, 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.matpr.2020.06.206.
13. C.P. Chowdari, J.B. Seventline, Low power implementation of adaptive block FIR filter design using offset binary coding, Materials Today: Proceedings, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.matpr.2020.12.869.
14. V.K. Odugu, C.V. Narasimhulu, K.S. Prasad, Design and implementation of low complexity circularly symmetric 2D FIR filter architectures, Multidimensional Systems and Signal Processing, 31: 1385–1410, 2020, doi: 10.1007/s11045-020-00714-3.
15. X. Lou, Y.J. Yu, P.K. Meher, Lower bound analysis and perturbation of critical path for area-time efficient multiple constant multiplications, IEEE Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 36(2): 313–324, 2017, doi: 10.1109/TCAD.2016.2584181.